Bangkok – the city of temples. Even if you are not interested in religion, you should definitely pay a visit to tthe biggest temple highlights in Bangkok like the Wat Pra Kaew or the Wat Pho. If you are near Chinatown, this is a good opportunity to see the Golden Buddha in Bangkok. It is located at Wat Traimit temple. And you can use the millions of steps up to the temple as a workout. (In case you haven’t walked enough during sightseeing in Bangkok!)
Facts of the Golden Buddha in Wat Traimit in Bangkok
The Golden Buddha is not only called “Golden”, it is actually made almost entirely out of pure gold. It weighs about 5 tons and is about 250 million Dollars worth! And you can just walk right into the temple. No extra security, the Golden Buddha stands right there – that’s fascinating. Theft is one of the most frowned upon crimes in Thailand – due to the Thai’s religion. And apparently, that’s why the Golden Buddha doesn’t need extra surveillance.
Important information for your visit to the Golden Buddha Bangkok
As always when visiting temples remember to wear appropriate clothes at the Golden Buddha Bangkok, cover at least shoulders and knees and take your shoes off at the entrance. But as usual, there is also a small stand at the entrance with pashminas and saris to rent.
From the Wat Traimit you also get a perfect view on the entrance gate to Chinatown:
Read all articles on Thailand, the most popular travel destination in South East Asia:
- Cooking Class in Chiang Mai for Thai Food Lovers
- Wat Traimit: The Golden Buddha in Bangkok
- Elephant Riding in Thailand: Please don’t do it. Here’s why.
- Hotel Review: The Memory at On On Hotel in Phuket, Thailand
- Thailand has the cutest airport ever: Koh Samui Airport.
- An authentic Thai Street Food Market in Phuket Old Town!
- Doi Suthep: Chiang Mai’s mountain and its famous temple, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.
- Review: The Memory at On On Hotel, Phuket
- Chatuchak Market in Bangkok: Shop ’til you drop!
Pin this article on Pinterest: